Chemluminescence

Hello all,

In regard to chemluminescence of oil samples during liquid
scintillation counting, we observed that the output spectrum from
these samples is different from tritium or any other radioactive
substance.  On our Beckman counter, tritium produces a hump that
extends
to about channel # 400.  The chemluminescence from oil stained
samples is more compact and stops about channel # 200.  The
LUMEX value tends to be very high also.  The LUMEX is the
manufacturer's method of correcting for non-radiation produced
luminescence.  In our procedures, we cover this issue.  If we have
very high counts that numerically look like tritium,  we recount the
sample and observe the spectrum.  If its chemluminescence, the
spectrum is compacted and the count rate decreases (typically to
background) over time.

Tom Mohaupt, MS, CHP
Wright State University
Radiation Safety Officer