tritium production

Just a thought regarding our relexive disdain for any potential protesters
against the production of tritium for nuclear weapons.  I've no doubt that
we
need to keep our warheads in top shape, so any such protesters would
obviously
be misguided, shortsighted, and ignorant.

But I'm wondering whether any of us tend to extend this attitude to any type
of activism or concern about other nuclear weapons issues.  Certainly there
are things to worry about here.  For example, as noted in articles in the
March 15 and 16 Washington Post, the U.S. and Russia still maintain a
"launch
on warning" posture despite the end of the Cold War and despite President
Clinton's assurances that Russia's ICBMs are no longer targeted at us (they
can be retargeted in seconds).  Last year a Russian defense minister charged
that the nuclear command and control system was, in effect, out of control.
Also, since the end of the Cold War it is suspected that a lot of weapons
grade material etc. may been smuggled out of Russia and sold to whomever
could
pay the price.

Allright I know this isn't about Radiation Protection (or is it?) and maybe
shouldn't be bringing it up in this forum.  But I'm just curious to know if
any other radsafers think about this stuff while they're going about their
daily business of saving a millirem here and there.

Tom VanderMey, CHP
vandermeyt@detroitedison.com