Re: SI-units for radiation and activity

At 04:26 PM 3/19/1998 -0600, you wrote:
>And what does this have to do with "added" safety value? Will we
>improve the methodology for protecting the populace, perform a better
>survey, produce a better dose report?
>
>While I agree that a standardized system would be beneficial, one
>must also consider the cost benefit for change, or for not changing.
>It's more than just a few units printed on a paper. There are
>instrument changes required, algorithms, regulations, procedures, and
>on and on. Is this warranted at this point in time? With the other
>issues we are dealing with, as simple as LNT and other minor issues,
>the changes you are asking for appear to be miniscule, and not worthy
>of much attention, at THIS time. Perhaps later ... it should and will
>be considered.

When I first came to this country as a postdoc in 1962, I remember some
senator, who had just sunk a 'metrication' bill, rejoicing in having saved our
'good old American units'.  Even though I thought them to be quaint, not to
say antiquated, I had no problem converting to US units.  Later, back in
Switzerland, when I started teaching courses on "Risks of Energy Production"
in 1976, I decided to teach them in SI units. It took a very short time to
convert
my thinking to the metric radiation units.  It was a joke though that I had
to re-
convert to rads, and rems etc. when I immigrated to the US in 1980.  Since
then we have become the only country which still uses those 'troglodyte'
units.
I agree with Arie Klerk that conversion is not as difficult as you 'know'
it is
going to be, and - above all - it does not hurt.

As for Sandy's comment above: There is never a good time for conversion; but
one thing is certain: it will never be cheaper than it would be right now.
Just
imagine if that senator had not succeeded and the US had converted. It would
have been costly, but it would just have been peanuts at today's prices!

Fritz A. Seiler

Sigma Five Associates
P.O. Box 14006
Albuquerque, NM 87191-4006