Re: SI Whining

Bob Flood has summarized the issues very well:

> Let's look at a complete radiation protection system. We have about 40
> people who would be called health physics professionals here, and all of
> them could make the switch to SI units easily. But...

The issue as to what has to happen when a small change like this
takes place, ONLY affects you IF you are accountable for the
PROGRAMMATIC changes. I would venture to surmise that those Radsafers
who say, hey, it's a simple thing, the instruments are already
displayed in both units, so what's the big deal!!!  These are
individuals who are not saddled with all of the issues that need to
be contended with, so eloquently stated by Bob.

Take the ANSI N13.11-1993 change. Simple enough you say .. all that
was changed was going from Cx to Ck. Right? WRONG!!!!  That little
change, that did absolutely nothing to improve dose reporting caused
the following to happen:

1. Dose algorithms had to be changed, and, data testing had to ensue
to validate that the new numbers were being generated correctly, to
maintain NVLAP standards.

2. The results of the new standards now have SDE less than DDE for
specific energy spectra. Try explaining THAT to the typical rad
worker. I don't like it myself, and I've been doing this for 28 years
(not as long as some of you)

3. Public impressions. If the dose being calculated today has
changed, what does that say about the previous doses you've been
reporting to me????  Workers are innately tuned to change!!!

So, please ... unless you've been involved in a programmatic change,
that affects programs involving a large number of people, and, a
large amount of $$$$,,  please refrain from the comments that this is
simple, it is good, and there is nothing to worry about.. just a snip
here and a snip there, and all is OK. It just isn't so!!!!!!!

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division