Re: correct air pressure

>Date:         Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:46:21 -0500
>Sender: Medical Physics Listserver <medphys@lists.wayne.edu>
>From: Bill McCarthy <billmcc@HARGRAY.COM>
>Subject:      Re: correct air pressure
>To: Multiple recipients of list MEDPHYS <MEDPHYS@LISTS.WAYNE.EDU>
>

>         ** Mail from Medphys Listserver **
>If you reply to this message, it will be posted on Medphys for all the
>subscribers to review ...
>

>George,
>I don't think there is a good way to intercompare barometric pressure
unless you are standing next to the standard barometer.  Any high quality
mercury barometer is a "standard" barometer because it measures BP on an
absolute basis (mm of Hg supported by the atmosphere).  Don't forget the
temperature correction and to insure the murcury is clean.

>I go to the local Air Forces Field which has some sophisticated barometers
that are recalibrated every week because people's lives depend on it. I
carry my aneroid barometer with me and use it as a transfer standard to
calibrate the others when I'm standing next to them.

>Obviously there is a strong correlastion between height and BP and it's
hard to tell exactly how high you are at any point on earth or how high the
guy on the other end of the phone is (not a pun).