Re: Report Fetal Dose to NRC?

> Careful Sandy, the NRC can consider the fetus as a member of the public.  The US Army
> had a similar case many years ago (which I cannot fully comment on) and I believe
> escalated enforcement was taken.

and ...

> I think 10 CFR 35 requires reporting medical misadministrations to
> the NRC. A misadministration includes radiation doses to patients
> which are larger or smaller than planned.

That may very well be the case, but, in this instance, the
administration was "prior" to the pregnancy being known. Therefore,
the NRC should NOT be involved.  I have never heard of any regulatory
agency intervening in a physician's prerogative to initiate a medical
procedure which was determined to be necessary by the attending
physician. Should the NRC be involved in medical decisions? I
certainly hope not. On the other hand, as Wes pointed out, a
misadministration is something that they should investigate. I don't
see this administration in the same light.
------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205

ICN Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The comments expressed are solely those of the author and not those of my employer