Re: Self Shielded Irradiators

Dear Kent,
        Our University has such a self-shielded irradiator and like you I
have had to dream up worst case scenarios and write contingency plans for
it. The unit I am thinking of in this case has several hundred curies of
Co-60 and small samples are fed into close proximity to the source on a
piston operated system. When the irradiator was inspected a few years ago,
the first comment that was made was about security. It shows how naive I
was them, because my reaction was "the things weighs 5 tonnes, no-one is
going to steal it" That was not the security he was talking about. If the
piston delivery system wasn't adequately secured then an explosive device
could be pushed into the source and I was left wondering how a bomb
disposal squad would deal with such an event and also how I would assess
what my contingency plans would be. Although the unit it locked, anyone
with a respectable set of bolt cutters could gain access and cause a
considerable amount of mischieve. Like Kent I would be interested in what
contingency plans radsafers have for such, hopefully, extremely rare
events.

                                         David Hornsey
 **************************************
 * David J. Hornsey, Radiation Safety.*