RE: High Intensity Light Question

Tad  -  The 1 cd/c^2 statement indicates that your concern is with
retinal thermal injury and retinal photochemical (blue light) injury.
Both of these are related to the image of the source on the retina and
so this is an issue of direct viewing of the source(s).

Basically, if the radiance of the source (after applying the appropriate
spectral weighting) is sufficiently high, then  a maximum permitted
exposure time (based on a Threshold Limit Value) exists.  Although many
white light sources are of sufficiently high radiance to be a potential
hazard, they are not a hazard in practice because the high luminance
prevents fixation on the source due to discomfort and pain  -  as an
example, the sun at high elevations.

I used the word <radiance>, and it is the same concept as luminance
except the watt is used in place of the lumen (a visually evaluated
watt).  If the light is white, there is a very rough relation between
radiance and luminance, sufficient for cd/cm^2 to be used as guidance in
whether a problem might exist.

Your particular problem depends only on the source properties (including
images of the sources due to reflectors) and the way in which they would
be viewed.  It does not depend light as received by light meters.

One place to read about these UV/visible/IR hazard issues is in "Safety
with Lasers and Other Optical Hazards," Sliney and Wolbarsht, Plenum
Press, 1980.

The ACGIH TLV are presented in an excessively succinct manner.  If you
are going to be considering such issues, I recommend that you obtain a
copy of ANSI/IESNA RP-27.1-96, Recommended Practice for Photobiological
Safety for Lamps and Lamp Systems -- General Requirements.  This uses
the ACGIH TLVs but considers all of the details required when applying
the TLVs.  A copy can be obtained from IESNA, 120 Wall St., 17th floor,
New York, NY 10005; call (212) 248-5000 for cost and ordering
information.