RE: Contamination from Nuc Med patients

Bill,

While the radiological consequences of the complications following this
particular administration may be minimal, as pointed out in Dr. Marcus'
post, I am a strong proponent of "informed consent" in the work place. For
that reason, I would have a routine radiological safety course for nursing
staff who might have to care for nuclear medicine patients. It does not have
to be elaborate or long, but it should answer, in plain language, the most
common questions you are being asked by the nursing staff. This goes a long
way toward fostering the credibility and trust relationship you need to be
effective in establishing and practicing a common sense approach to
radiological safety. I believe it is important that we, as radiological
safety professionals, establish a "part of the common people" rapport with
the people we are protecting. This is what I practice and it is what I teach
my students to practice.

Once the nurses are initially trained, an occasional friendly newsletter or
note explaining a recent incident of concern (be honest but careful here,
there is a difference between "explaining" and "explaining away" which is
not lost on your nursing staff) will help strengthen your working
relationships and tend to reduce the chance of over-reaction or panic to
radiological incidents like the one you describe when they occur (and they
always occur - whatever we do).

I hope I have been of help.

-Gary Damschen
damschenga@mkf.ornl.gov

This is only my opinion and my opinion only. All standard disclaimers
apply...yadda, yadda, yadda.