RE: Uranium in hair

Jim --

Heavy metals (eg Hg) are typically excreted in the hair.  There have been a
number of papers and symposia devoted to trace metals in hair analysis.
Following an acute intake, the concentration in the hair goes up and then
drops off.  It is possible using appropriate analytical methods to determine
the variation in concentration of a heavy metal along the length of a hair.
This can provide an indication of when an exposure occurred if the ratge of
hair growth is known or can be reasonably estimated.  There are many
interferences and contaminants, notably Se which is present in many dandruff
shampoos.  U, which is ubiquitous in our environment is another possible
contaminant.  U in human tissues normally runs from a few tenth of a ng/g to
several ng/g.

Ron Kathren, Director
US Transuranium and Uranium Registries