Re: Scattering cross sections

One measure for the scattered component of radiation
that passed through an absorber is the Buildup Factor B.

A definition of B can be found at
www.photcoef.com/213.html

The Buildup Factor for lead shields of different
thicknesses can be derived by taking the ratio of the
Shielding Functions of Lead,
www.photcoef.com/2381.html
to the Transmission Functions of Lead,
www.photcoef.com/2392.html

Finally, most of the scattering at common energies is
caused by the Compton Effect. Graphs and Tables of
Compton Scattering  (and other) coefficients can be
found at
www.photcoef.com/2121.html

Paul Kehler
AIC SOFTWARE, Inc.