Re: Non-ionizing radiation

The Wertheimer-Leeper study's protocol was to go into the neighborhood and
count the number of lines and the gauge of the wire (by visual observation)
and then assume that there was direct relationship with the magnetic field
strengths to be found in the houses.  It was, I believe part of some other
larger study (what that was I don't think I ever found out) and was
published independently by Wertheimer-Leeper.  When researchers actually
went in and measured the real field strengths in the houses no correlation
was found.  I remember thinking after reading their paper that it was a
poor study with a lot of weaknesses and should never have recieved the
attention it did recieve.  Additionally there was a paper published on the
same subject by some reasearchers in Connecticut (I think) about 5 years
ago, that  used the same protocols as Wertheimer-Leeper for a location in
the Northeast, for which no correlation was found.  Naturally, the second
study recieved no attention in the media.

Ruth Weiner <rfweine@sandia.gov> on 04/21/98 12:37:44 PM

Please respond to radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu