Re: React magazine

"nirs.org," eh?  Let me tell all you RADSAFERs something about NIRS, the Nuclear
Information Resource Service.  This is what used to be known as a nuclear
intervenor organization: they intervene on behalf of challengers to nuclear
power plant siting, and generally on behalf of anti-nuclear groups, in
administrative and legal proceedings.  In 1984 (believe it or not) I was
interviewed for the position of Executive Director of NIRS. During the course of
the interview, I learned that 70% of the NIRS budget came from a member of the
Rockfeller family. An eye-opener to me, as a naive academic, but probably not
news to those who realize that oil money funds anti-nukes. Needless to say, I
didn't take the job (I had no intention of taking it, but was curious about the
organization). The NIRS budget, while not huge, is certainly not small.  I am
absolutely appalled that NIRS propaganda should be treated as informative.  To
the best of my knowledge, they have (or at least had in 1984) no technical or
scientific expertise at all -- they generally tried to hire it.

Clearly only my own opinion

Ruth F. Weiner
Transportation Systems Department
Sandia National Laboratories