Re: posting requirements

Boyd H Rose wrote:

>      Andy,
>
>      I am not able to cite anything which prohibits or discourages the use
>      of the radiation symbol for posting areas which do not contain
>      radioactive materials in order to deter vandalism or theft.  However,
>      10CFR20.1904(b) states:
>
>           Each licensee shall, prior to removal or disposal of empty
>           uncontaminated containers to unrestricted areas, remove or
>           deface the radioactive material label or otherwise clearly
>           indicate that the container no longer contains radioactive
>           materials.
>
>      Misposting an area as a restricted area or non-radioactive items
>      as radioactive for the unrelated purpose of deterring theft or
>      vandalism is blatantly misleading and invites mistrust and
>      suspicion of one's safety program by both workers and members of
>      the public regardless of the regulator's position.
>
>      Additionally, if any of us as safety professionals actually knows
>      of such a practice and does not challenge the practice, we would
>      be derelict in our professional responsibilities as well as in
>      violation of our professional ethics.
>
>      I know I am preaching to the choir.  Lets hope such anecdotes
>      remain few or go away altogether.
>
>      Boyd H. Rose, CM, IHIT
>      Radiation Protection Officer
>      General Dynamics Land Systems Division
>      roseb@gdls.com
>
>      The opinions expressed above are solely my own and do not under any
>      circumstance reflect those of my employer.

> Subject: posting requirements
> Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet/Unix
> Date:    4/30/98 7:47 AM
>
> I have heard anecdotally of the NRC citing licensees for misuse of the radiation
> symbol; for example, posting an item or an area that does not contain
> radioactive materials in order to deter vandalism or theft. However, I cannot
> find anything in 10 CFR 20 that prohibits or discourages the use of the
> radiation symbol for such purposes.
>
> Does anyone know if the anecdotes I have heard are correct?  If so, can you
> point me to a citation, letter, reg guide, or anything else to back this up?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andy
>
> The opinions expressed above are well-reasoned and insightful.  Needless to
> say, they are not those of my employer. (with apologies to Michael Feldman)
>

> Andrew Karam, MS, CHP                                   (614) 292-1284 (phone)
> The Ohio State University                                       (614) 292-7002
> (fax)
> Office of Radiation Safety                                      "The mind is not
> a vessel to
> 1314 Kinnear Road                                               be filled but a
> fire to be
> Columbus, OH  43212                                             lighted."
> (Plutarch)
> (karam.1@osu.edu)

I agree, we do not need to desensitize people anymore than they already
are, with respect to workers. You can think of it this way, would you
put a radioactive sticker on cookies in your house just to keep your
kids out of them. Eventually they will understand that it doen't mean
anything and disregard it when sometime it may really mean buisiness.