Re: Fw: Risk of accidental nuclear attack said rising

Franz:

My understanding is that the codes to which you refer are meant to convince
the sub commander that the fire command is genuine (i.e. comes from the
proper authorities).  There would be internal safeguards within the sub
crew itself (e.g. use of two keys at the same time, security codes from two
different crew members), but I am unaware of any security system which
requires transmission of specific data from outside the sub.  It may take
some extra work-arounds, but I'm sure that if a sub crew put forth a
unified effort, they would be able to launch without permission from anyone
outside their vessel

Eric

>>I have a big problem to understand this message. I simply cannot believe
>>that the commander of a submarine would have the possibility to make a
>>nuclear weapon ready for explosion and to launch it. As far as I know (or
>>rather as far as I have read information) there are numerous barriers to
>>overcome to activate a nuclear weapon, including secret codes which have to
>>be given by the competent authorities. It seems to me more than ridiculous
>>to believe that launching a nuclear weapon (or in this case dozens) to kill
>>million of people is a procedure like pulling the trigger on a rifle! Have
>>you seen this very old and very good film with Peter Sellers - the title
>was
>>approximately "Mr. Strangelove or How I learned to love the bomb".
>>Even in this film the launching of nuclear weapons had to undergo military
>>rules including transmission of  codes.
>>
>>I would support any effort to get rid of the nuclear weapons still existing
>>in to high a number on this world. But the method to distribute horror
>>stories is not justified and a shame.
>>
>>Franz

J. Eric Denison
Program Assistant to the Director