Re: environmental damage

Well NIRS calls me a "naive academic" so here is a response from my
environmental studies teaching days:  "State of the environment" is too general.
 As far as regulating pollution, the U. S, is generally considered to be about
15-20 years ahead of the rest of the world.  Except for LA, air pollution in
large urban areas has decreased significantly in the last 20 years.  Most
stationary emitters are well controlled, although perhaps not all state-of-the
art controlled.  Surface water pollution has also been curbed significantly, and
wastewater and sewage treatment are far more common.

We have not done so well on cleanup of Superfund (CERCLA) sites, and are well
behind schedule.  We (as a nation) came relatively recently to recognize the
need to protect endangered species, so that is far from a perfect plan, but some
progress has been made.  We have severely limited the amount of CFC's sprayed
directly into the air by eleminating CFC aerosol propellants and limiting CFC
refrigerants, but we don't see much of a result in the ozone layer.

There is still a continuing argument over the need to limit carbon dioxide, and
no agreement on how to do it.  We still need to do better with mass transit.
Mined land reclamation has made some headway, but not a spectacular amount.

Logging practices are often still devastating, and logging on the national
forests, with concomitant overburden loss and waterway pollution, continues at a
rate that is not very good for the forest or downstream environment.  We still
have major problems with agricultural runoff.

Radioactive contamination?  That's insignificant as an environmental problem.

Worse off than ten years ago?  I don't think so.

Clearly only my own opinion

Ruth F. Weiner
Transportation Systems Department
Sandia National Laboratories