DIVIDED DOSE I-131 THYROID TREATMENTS

>Date:         Mon, 4 May 1998 10:45:04 -0700
>Sender: Medical Physics Listserver <medphys@lists.wayne.edu>
>From: Carl Chamberlain <carl.chamberlain@SAINTMARYSRENO.COM>
>Subject:      DIVIDED DOSE I-131 THYROID TREATMENTS
>To: Multiple recipients of list MEDPHYS <MEDPHYS@LISTS.WAYNE.EDU>
>

>         ** Mail from Medphys Listserver **
>If you reply to this message, it will be posted on Medphys for all the
>subscribers to review ...
>

>REFERENCE:  NUCLEAR MEDICINE ANNUAL 1993  RUDAVSKY,ET AL, MONTEFIORE, BRONX..
>
>Technique:  one to three doses of I-131 at about 30 mCi/dose (to keep below
the limit) seperated by at least 48 hours for thyroid ablation.  Second and
third doses are adjusted to keep body burden less than 30 mCi.  Claimed
advantage... Comparable results with higher single doses and more cost
effective.

>Can any one else report experiences with this technique?
>
>Apparently others have reported a "stunning" effect making the uptake of
subsequent doses not as high as the first.  Does anyone have a reference on
this effect with regards this technique?