Re: Chernobyl in the Alps

Franz Schoenhofer wrote:

> I read the information mentioned by Tad Blanchard. There were no
> values
> given. I read another - German - information on the web, which did not
>
> state, which samples were analysed (!), but mentioned that "the
> samples"
> had activity concentrations of up to 545.000 Bq/kg.
>
> Well, the Alps have been contaminated during the fifties and sixties
> as
> well as practically anything in the world by the atmospheric nuclear
> bomb
> tests, so there was contamination there earlier. Since the aerosols
> from
> the burning reactor were carried up to about 2000 meters before being
> dispersed, it is not surprising that in these elevations also elevated
>
> Cs-137 concentrations are found.

Hello,

our local newspaper was a little more specific. They write about 40 soil
samples collected in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France and Italy in
elevations between 1500 and 2800 m. 28 readings were said to be over 10
000 Bq/kg and 9 over 100 000 Bq/kg, Cs137 in all cases. They also wrote
about Am241, but without numbers. They don't mention how thick the layer
of soil was which they had collected (Your point on the comparison to
Bq/m2!).

I agree with your interpretation of the attribute "independent" and your
concerns on the credibility of this institution yet unknown to me.

I found Jim Abrahams' comments quite helpful.

Greetings, Harald

--
Harald Weiss                 weiss@ki.comcity.de
Preetzer Strasse 263         Tel  +49 431 7859659