Subject: Re: Dr. Strangelove - OFF TOPIC
Author:  schoenho@via.at at hubsmtp
Date:    5/5/98 4:59 PM

Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 Wien
AUSTRIA
Tel./Fax: +43-1-4955308
Mobiltel.: +43-664-3380333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at
-----Urspr³ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: M. Woo <melissa@zelda.ehs.uiuc.edu>
An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Datum: Dienstag, 05. Mai 1998 20:52
Betreff: Dr. Strangelove - OFF TOPIC

>I had hoped that everyone would've realized before posting that this
>thread is off-topic.  Let's kill this one off, please.
>
>Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
>
>Melissa Woo
>RADSAFE List-owner/manager

Yes, Melissa, you are of course right - as usual. Being the one who first
mentioned this film I should feel guilty, but I do not. It was a real
pleasure to watch the lively discussions about the cast of the film. I am
quite sure that I have taped it once and I will search for it to see it.

Why I still think that this was a very good connection to radiation issues
is simply the fact that I enjoyed to read that so many RADSAFERs had also
other interests than only the daily work, even interest in "art", because
this is what the film in question has to be regarded to be. So many issues
were treated in this film - not only the question of nuclear war, but human
reactions and the idea that the world may perish, because someone has not
got the dime to call to prevent it. This was an extremely good example to
show that our work has a lot of implication - of social nature, of political
nature. We cannot see our work isolated, but it is part of social life.
Whether we like it or not, we have to deal with the antis-"everything" and
we have to take the responsibility to cope with the daily issues of
radiation protection, food irradiation, nuclear waste, nuclear transport -
though we know everything better than the public and the news media (I
really mean that, I am not joking). Therefore I thank everybody who
confirmed my opinion that radiation protection is not everything in the
world and that health physicists are not one track minded!!

Franz