Re: High Akltitude Neutron Fields

Things at altitudes achievable by conventional aircraft are subject to much
higher neutron dose due to high energy proton reactions with air.  Neutrons
in space are either from the sun or a secondary reaction with much lower
probability.  In space, neutrons really don't contribute to total dose.
Remember, it takes 260 thermal neutrons per cm^2-sec to get 1mrem/hour (in
a person) (Lamarsh p445) in space you get on average 6.8 n/cm^2-s (as
pointed out earlier), ie not much.  The trend on studying neutrons has been
a recent one.  Five years ago: space doesn't have neutrons.  Two years ago:
space has some neutrons, but they are insignificant.  This past year: high
altitude secondary neutrons produced form high energy proton interaction
with the atmosphere can be: a)high energy (up to about 10MeV), b)very bad
for aircraft and c)cause SEU (oops).  Also, don't forget that the earth
effectively shields things from solar neutrons if it happens to be in the
shadow at the time (except in the South Atlantic Anomaly).

Scott Kniffin

mailto:Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.