NRC Commissioners Receive Final Safety Evaluation Report for AP6

The following article addresses the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's
technical staff approval of the Final Safety Evaluation Report (FSER)
for the next-generation nuclear power plant. I would assume that if
this design will ever begin construction, that it would be built on
foreign soil, and not within the USA. Is anyone aware of any USA
utility that is even considering the nuclear option again? I am not,
and am under the opinion that we are in the golden years of the
nuclear age (similar to an elderly person) and are looking forward to
a peaceful death. It's going to be a tough time in the next 5 to 10
years as today's operating units continue their planned shutdowns.

PITTSBURGH, May 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Westinghouse Electric Company's
AP600 moved one significant step closer to commercialization this week
when the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's technical staff approved the
Final Safety Evaluation Report (FSER) for the next-generation nuclear
power plant.

Final Design Approval (FDA) for the AP600 is expected this September,
following review by both the NRC Commissioners and the Advisory
Committee on Reactor Safeguards (ACRS). Receipt of the FDA will
position the AP600 for orders in the worldwide commercial nuclear
power market.

Dr. Charles W. Pryor, Jr., President and Chief Executive Officer of
Westinghouse, said technical approval of the FSER and its submittal to
the Commissioners are the culmination of an eight-year, multi-million
dollar effort by the NRC staff, the U.S. Department of Energy, the
Electric Power Research Institute and supporting utilities, numerous
international organizations, Westinghouse, its subcontractors and
partners.

``The result of this effort, which encompasses more than 1,300 man
years of testing, design engineering, research and analysis, is a
comprehensive and thorough document that confirms the integrity of the
AP600 design, its enhanced safety features and technological
advancements,'' he said. ``Over the short term, we look forward to
working with the NRC to obtain FDA. Longer term, we look forward to
building these plants which, along with other advanced technologies,
will insure that safe, economical commercial nuclear power remains a
vital part of the worldwide energy supply system.''

Howard J. Bruschi, vice president of science and technology for
Westinghouse, said the FSER for the AP600 is truly a milestone in the
50-year history of commercial nuclear power. ``The AP600 is the
world's most thoroughly tested and analyzed commercial nuclear power
technology,'' he said. ``For the perseverance and dedication of the
hundreds upon hundreds of technicians, engineers and support personnel
who have worked on this project over the last eight years, we extend
our warmest and most sincere thanks.''

The AP600 technology is designed to provide safe and reliable nuclear
energy at costs competitive with other energy sources. With simplicity
as the key technical concept, the AP600 requires 50 percent fewer
valves, 80 percent less piping, 70 percent less control cable and 35
percent fewer pumps than conventional nuclear reactors.

As a result, the AP600 should be built much faster than conventional
reactors, with Westinghouse estimating construction times of less than
36 months.