Re: Risk with Am241/Be source? - Addendum

You wrote:

>Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 13:50:24 -0500 (CDT)
>From: "Björn Cedervall" <bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: Risk with Am241/Be source?
>
>Radsafers,
>
>A friend of mine recently asked about the potential radiation risks
with
>Americium (241)-Beryllium neutron generators. The probe device is used
>for measuring moisture and density in soil etc. The probe contains 30
>mCi 241-Am/Beryllium (the half-life of 241-Am is about 458 y) as well
as
>1 mCi cesium 137. The neutron yield can probably be taken as (??)
>2.5x10E6 neutrons/(second,Ci).
>

>The question is what the radiation exposure (neutrons and gamma, what
>would the energies of the neutrons and gamma components be?, weighted
>whole body mSv/h?) whould amount to if the probe is taken out of its
>protective shield (which I understand has to be done in order to
perform
>certain types of calibration measurements). Reasonable assumptions are
>that the person in question - "the point target?" will stand 1 meter
(m)
>from the probe which can be considered as a point source.
>

>Many thanks in advance,
>

>Bjorn Cedervall,
>
>PhD (Karolinska Institutet)

A good source of information i Amersham/Searle Technical bulletin 76/7,
"Neutron Sources:  Americium/Beryllium and Californium-252".  This may not
be
available any more.  Here is some data for a Am-241/Be source:

neutron emission:  2.2 E6 neutrons/sec-Ci

Fraction of neutrons below 1.5 Mev:  ~ 0.23

gamma emission per neutron:  0.7 at 4.43 MeV, from (alpha-n) reacton, plus
6000 from Am-241 decay, predominantly at 60 keV

neutron dose equivalent rate at 1 m for source emission of 1 E6
neutrons/sec:
~ 1 mrem/h  (It's not clear what Q is used.)

gamma exposure rate at 1 m for source emission of 1 E6 neutrons/sec:  ~ 1
mR/h

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com