From: jeff.king@srs.gov [mailto:jeff.king@srs.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 1998 2:21 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Bacteria in Nuclear Reactors

     Back in Environmental Microbiology class (something like 8 years
ago),
     we discussed the archaebacteria and other microbes that have been
     found in extremely harsh environments.  Places like the outskirts
of
     boiling hot springs, the bottom of the Marianas trench, the arctic,

     and saturated salt lakes.  One of the the beasties that came up was

     radiococcus microdurans (SP?) which, if I recall correctly, had
been
     cultured out of the primary cooling loop of a nuclear reactor.
Memory
     serves to tell me that the bacterium was capable of surviving
     exposures up to one megarad.  Don't have my class notes anymore, so
     can't verify this, but I believe the report of a bacteria adapted
     life in a reactor is correct.

     It is not clear to me how reporting this fact has the potential to
     make the Planetary Society an anti-nuke group.

     Jeff King
     Facility Representative
     US Dept. of Energy
     Savannah River Operations Office