Re: <no subject>

     Don,

     Take a look at 10CFR71.74(a)(3).  The SI (Special or U.S. Customary)
     units are peppered throughout part 71 as well as the rest of 10CFR to
     varying degrees.

     It seems odd that you would concern yourself with finding explicit
     definitions for SI to Special or U.S. Customary dimension conversions
     given the propagation of error as a result of instrument precision,
     statistical variations in the radiation measured as well as
     background, calculation roundoffs, etc.  Taking into account a few
     tenths of a cm given the other possible sources of error in a
     radiation measurement may result in overstating the precision of the
     measurement as well as decreasing its accuracy.

     It seems that the NRC gives both SI and (Special or U.S. Customary)
     units as an aid to those of us who may be using one or the other or
     both units.  It is doubtful that the NRC would cite anyone on the
     precision of a measurement as long as the measurement is reported with
     the appropriate precision and accuracy.

     Boyd H. Rose, CM, IHIT
     Radiation Protection Officer
     General Dynamics Land Systems Division
     roseb@gdls.com

     The opinions expressed above are solely my own and do not under any
     circumstance reflect those of my employer.