Subject: Re: HEAST risk estimates
From:    Alex Zapantis
Date:    15/5/98  8:03 AM

Yes, the risk is 3.84 cancers per person, viz

risk = 1.42E-10 per 1E-12Ci
     =  1.42E-10 per (1E-12 x 3.7E10) Bq
     =  3.84E-9 per Bq
     = 3.84 per GBq

Regards

Alex
Subject: HEAST risk estimates
From:    Anthony Barber <a.barber@qut.edu.au> at Internet
Date:    14/5/98  1:49 AM

Can anyone explain what the qualifier (denominator) is for the risk measure
used in the HEAST radionuclide carcinogenicity table?

Example - risk of contracting cancer from ingestion of Ac89 is given as
1.42E-10 risk per pCi or 3.84 risks for 1GBq ingested.
What is 3.84 risks? Is it 3.84%? or is it 3.84 cancers per million people
exposed or maybe it is 3.84 cancers per person exposed? (ha, ha)

I have read all the documents at the HEAST web page with no joy. Although
it is highly likely that I am simply displaying my ignorance or inablity to
comprehend documents.

All explanations gratefully accepted.

Regards

Anthony Barber
RSO - Queensland University of Technology
ph  61 7 3864 3566
fax 61 7 3864 3993
a.barber@qut.edu.au
******************************
Why not?
******************************

Alex Zapantis
Health Physicist
Supervising Scientist Group

Email : alex.zapantis@ea.gov.au
Fax : (int+) 61 2  6217 2060
Phone: (int+) 61 2 6217 2037

PO Box E305
Kingston ACT 2604
AUSTRALIA

The Supervising Scientist Group is Part of Environment Australia