RE: Metastable states

Greg,

As you know, the metastable states of both Bi-210 and Po-212 do exist;
however, the decay of Pb-210 and Bi-212 do not lead to those metastable
states.

1.  In the case of Bi-210m, the metastable state is a 9- spin state, and
is produced by a (n, gamma) reaction with Bi-209.  The 9- state is 0.271
MeV above the ground state of Bi-210, and all decays (or at least the
ones I see) of Pb-210 go to either the 0- or 1- states.

2.  In the case of Po-212m, the metastable state is a 16+ spin state at
an energy level of 2.905 MeV above the ground state and is produced by
an (alpha, p) reaction with Bi-209.  All the decays of Bi-212 that I see
go to lower energy spin states.

Interestingly enough, both of these isomers decay by alpha emission.
The gammas listed in the Chart of the Nuclides for these isomers are not
for transitions to the ground state but are for transitions in the
energy states of the daughter following alpha emisssion.

Regards,

Philip

Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP
Carolina Power & Light Company