NRC Security Enforcement Policy

I'd like to comment on this from the perspective of someone who actually
attended one of the Security workshops (King of Prussia) and discussed
the proposed security changes.  And I feel betrayed.  This enforcement
policy is too little (or too much) to late.

1. I absolutely concur with Carol Marcus on this one.

2. At the workshops the overwhelming consensus was that materials below
100 times Appendix C or about an ALI should not require security beyond
the normal posting of laboratories (Caution Radioactive Materials,
labelling of equipment and vials etc.) and doors (not locked doors !!!),
etc.   And that materials above this quantity should be in locked
storage.  We also got lots of  "good vibes" about the fact that the
policy needed to be performance based and that absolute perfection was
not possible.  Some percentage of error was allowable, etc. etc.
Consideration was also given to the fact that nothing would deter a
person who was looking for materials to misuse them, not even a locked
door.

3.  What has happened with the change in policy is almost entirely
negative and does nothing except clarify the hunting ground  for
inspectors.

a) the Q and A's which clouded the issue for inspectors and the
enforcement people are gone,  thus these quantities are now violations,
yes "minor" violations but technical violations none the less.  NOT GOOD
!  Please note that "The staff plans to withdraw this guidance
(NUREG/CR-6204).  When the guidance is withdrawn, the EGM will be
modified to include security issues involving quantities less than
appendix C as minor violations."  Can you believe this!!?

b) it is no longer considered on a per vial basis (as was done by
inspectors before in practice) but an aggregate quantity of many vials
(no matter how small the individual activities are).  BAD BAD BAD.

c) the enforcement policy establishes a defacto requirement for a "staff
awareness, detection (auditing), and corrective action (including
disciplinary action to detect and deter security violations.  Such a
program is not a specific regulatory requirement [Well my fellow
licensees it is now !!], but rather..... Normally, security violations
that occur despite such a program will be considered isolated. "  If you
don't have a program to audit security than these minor violations will
most likely be used to establish programmatic failure and escalated
enforcement.  What this does is distract the licensee from real
radiation safety issues and turn it into a police/security force.  This
impact for a small radiation safety program could be devastating.  This
says to the licensee that they should exspend time being police and in
this day and age of dimishing resources, dilute the true intent of a
radiation program

d)  Finally, the NRC said over and over about how a regulatory change,
instead of an enforcment guidance or policy, would take years and years.
Don't buy that one.  I want you all to remember how fast they developed
and had out for comment the "P-32 Rule" or the 24-48 hour reporting rule
for "intentional diversion" , however you remember it.  It took them
about one year.  This was fast !!!  If they expended the same effort on
changing the security policy we would have a draft rule done and
comments finished by this time.  They are only interested in doing
something that they want to do.  And obviously providing true risk based
regulatory relief is not one of them.  Sorry Joe Ring, but I disagree
entirely with you on this. While I consider you a gentleman and a great
help in setting up these workshops with the NRC along with the Howard
Huges Medical Insitute, In fact little if any good or relief was
provided to the regulated community.

These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent my employer.

Shawn W. Googins, M.S., CHP