Re: lead apron thicknesses

> My proposal is a double badge system. Use an apron thin enough to provide a
> reading just over minimum for the busiest month. Using 122, this should yield
> an effective dose (E) less than 1 mSv/y

NCRP 122 does discuss other alternative methods to determine EDE. However,
when the thickness of the lead apron is lessened, there is going to be a
significantly higher penetrating exposure to the dosimeter worn under that
apron. Under this condition, the dose to the badge under the apron will be
higher than when worn under a lead apron with 0.50 mm thickness, and when
any factor is applied to this dosimeter, the resultant EDE is also going to be
higher.

In summary, the thinner the apron, the higher the dose to the individual, no
matter what factors one wants to apply to the dosimeters being worn. There are
only three effective ways to reduce dose; Time, Distance and Shielding. The
first two factors have not been mitigated. By wearing a thinner apron, you have
caused a higher dose to the individual, period.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3111

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer