Re: Dwarfing Chernobyl -Reply

Apologies for the late response on this thread....

>>> On Sun 31 May 98 @ 17:42, Glenn A. Carlson wrote >>>
... While I am pleased to read condemnation from individual
radsafers, I simply opine that there are "too many radsafers" who
willingly contribute to this very strategy to expect Mr. Weiss'
"common condemn[ation]."  Are there any radsafers at DOE,
Sandia, Pantex, LLNL, LANL, etc. who make nuclear weapons safer
to manufacture, handle, transport, or use who will condemn the
"use of ionizing radiation against civil population"?

Mr. Carlson,

You neglected to mention the fact that the United States in general,
and those of us in the DOE specifically, is in the process of
*dismantling* our nuclear weapons and assisting the former USSR
in dismantling theirs.  Speaking for myself and others, I am
extremely proud to be part of an overall US effort in stepping down
from nuclear brinkmanship.

Not wanting to get into the particulars of World War II, Nikita
Kruschev, M.A.D. (which is just that), the US policy of "No First
Use," or the general time-tested philosophy of many nations - si vis
pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war) - I was
particularly struct by your singly out *only* the use of ionizing
radiation on civilian populations.  Isn't firebombing, nerve gas, or
conventional ordinance equally abhorrent when used on civilian
populations?

Your insinuation that those Health Physicists in the DOE are "closet
warmongers" is misinformed and misguided at best.  Please, let us
debate technical issues and stay away from the personal attacks.

v/r
Michael
*************************
Michael S. Ford, CHP