Re: Emergency Doses Allowed

Steve, et. al.

The U.S. Department of Energy currently has dose guidelines for
accidents and emergencies in the regulations (10 CFR 835.1302)  The dose
limits run from 5 rem for all emergencies to >25 rem for lifesaving of
large populations.  25 rem is the dose limit for "lifesaving or
protection of large populations."  There are other caveates too numerous
to mention here.

58 FR 65483 makes it very clear that these values are only guidelines
and they have been removed from the proposed revision to 10 CFR 835 ---
I'm not exactly sure why.

Rey Bocanegra
Sr Tech Advisor on Rad protection
DOE

Don't usually add disclaimers to what I say, but .....
The facts I mentioned above are not mine ... just the facts.