Re: Leading NZ nuclear scientist defends IAEA report on Muruora Atoll

At 09:16 04.06.1998 +0200, you wrote:

>Leading NZ nuclear scientist defends IAEA report on Muruora Atoll
>
>   NADI, Fiji, June 2 (AFP) - A leading New Zealand scientist on
>Tuesday strongly defended the credibility of an international report which
>says that French nuclear test sites in the South Pacific pose no health
>threat to people.
>   Until three years ago France conducted nuclear tests at Mururoa
>and Fangataufa atolls in French Polynesia.
>   The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is to publish its
>report at the end of the month. But in a summary last week it said
>it would conclude: "There will be no radiological health effects
>which could be either medically diagnosed in an individual or
>epidemiologically... which could be attributable to radiation doses
>from the residual radioactive material remaining at the atolls."
>   The report has already been criticised for being biased and
>under French control.
>   But New Zealander Andrew McEwan, who chaired one of the IAEA
>task forces, said he vouched for the report's independence and
>credibility.
>   "We personally took the samples, those samples were then sent to
>different laboratories throughout the world," he said, adding that 55
>experts contributed to the report.
>   Four IAEA team members including McEwan and team leader Gail de
>Planque of the United States briefed the 15 member countries and
>officials of the South Pacific Forum here Tuesday on the study's
>findings.
>   "What we have found is that doses now and in the future would be  very
>small in relation to natural radiation sources," McEwan said. "There is
>very little radiological significance on both the atolls."
>   He said doses of radiation local inhabitants would receive from
>the environment or food would be less than naturally occuring cosmic
>radiation he would be exposed to after flying over the Pacific in a plane.
>
>   "Plutonium does not get into marine life very easily and if some  gets
>eaten by people, the doses would be very low because plutonium is very
>insoluble," the New Zealand scientist added.

Being the leader of the terrestrial working group of the Mururoa Project I
can only comment, that I did not expect anything else, than that we would
be accused of delivering a biased and French controlled report.

"I have made up my mind, don't disturb me with facts."

Franz