Re: tasting chemicals

> I guess I've reached the age where one dislikes admitting to retrospecively 'stupid' things.  But I seem to
>recall in my chemistry classes of my youth that when one had positive knowledge of a chemical stew that it
>was not unusual to 'taste' or even sniff vapors for identification purposes.  I even remember (horror of
>horrors) doing mouth pipetting.  While our current safety standards render such practices today as 'stupid' is
>it appropriate to describe accepted practices of more than 30 yrs ago in that manner?

While I don't advocate tasting chemicals and sniffing vapours it is still true that a number of film processing
errors can be identified using our own senses. Sulphiding in silver recovery units is a very distinctive odour,
and the conversion of the insoluble silver ammonium thiosulphate to soluble silver ammonium dithiosulphate
is accompanied by a change in taste of the film emulsion from sweet to tasteless.

Chris Jeffery
Senior Lecturer in Radiation Science
Canterbury Christ Church College,   UK