RE: LASER facility questions

-----Original Message-----
From:	Mr Jo [SMTP:mjo@scs.unr.edu]
Sent:	Friday, June 26, 1998 2:22 AM
To:	Multiple recipients of list
Subject:	LASER facility questions

To those who are involved in Laser safety,
 I am designated LSO addition to RSO at our facility. I have been to two
training classes four-five years ago. I forgot what I learned. We are in process
to setting up a class 4 laser. This system seems to be an old unit.

The unit spec. are:
    wave length (changed at the end): start at 1.053 um,  at the end it's at
0.5265 um
    energy (changed at the end): start at 1 J, end at <0.5 J
    pulse duration: 50 usec

I was told that a laser unit housing is there but need to be removed until they
set everything up such as cooling water line leakage check and a number of
items. This will be done while beam is on.

Here are my questions:
    1. What wavelength laser and power level is this? (two separate optical
goggles and MPEs?)
[]
[]  Yes, this will typically require to pair of goggles (not  practical so you should try to enclose the 1053 nm).  You can calculate the MPE's using the ANSI.
    2. I have a ANSI Z136.1-1993. I thought a newer version came out after that.
Are there a
        lot of changes in the newer version from the version I have? I don't
mind to buy one but
        user is in a hurry.
[]
Not out yet.
    3. Table 10 of the ANSI 136.1 states that NHZ analysis required for a number
of control
        measures. How shall I do that?
[]
[]  Several control measures are required for a class 4 laser, refer to table in the back of ANSI.  We always opt for engineering controls over administrative.  It is best to try to completely enclosed the unit and have the controls for alignment and service.

    4. I was told that once set up is completed they are going to enclose the
unit. Can it forgive
        some safety requirements because it is going to be enclosed after a
while?
If completely enclosed then Class 1.
    5. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for your help. M. Jo