EMF and cancer

     Glenn (GACMail98@aol.com) wrote:

     "And opponents of nuclear power say employees of the industry are
     ignoring the dangers of radiation to protect their jobs.  The
     more we claim to be different, the more we find we are the same.
     <sigh>"

     Excuse me, Glenn, but I think you have it reversed.  If employees
     of nuclear power, certainly those in radiation safety at any
     rate, were interested in protecting our jobs, we'd simply go with
     EPA's (and the opponents') position that any radiation exposure,
     no matter how small, is potentially lethal.  Then our jobs would
     be secure and the career would be expanding.  We'd be out there
     protecting everyone from bananas, Brazil nuts, weld rod and old
     orange Fiestaware, not to mention those horrific dental x-rays.
     This contrasts with the vast majority of rad safety folks in the
     industry who work to keep plant employees and the surrounding
     public well below regulatory mandated safe limits, but believe
     that low level exposure presents a very small risk if any.

     I think the comment made by the APS reviewer wasn't too far out
     of line.  It is quite common for researchers to produce a report
     that says "more research is required."  Part of the game.  I've
     been there.

     Eric Goldin,  disclaimed of course
     <goldinem@songs.sce.com>