RE: Scanning Electron Microscopes

Erin,

SEM's are regulated by the State.  As such, any regulatory questions
(e.g., what is required) should be directed to the Indiana Indoor and
Radiologic Health Division of the State Department of Health.  My list
says Hans Messersmigh is the Coordinator of the X-Ray Machine Inspection
Program (ph: 317-233-7564)

As for actual radiological safety concerns, there really aren't any.
The SEM vacuum walls contain any produced x-rays.  And if you have a
vacuum leak, you don't have any x-ray production.  This is very
different from Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEMs), which can have
significant x-ray production if the shielding is not properly placed (or
the leaded glass windows are replaced with normal glass).

Wes

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP, Director, Environmental Health & Safety
International Isotopes, Inc.
3100 Jim Christal Road
Denton, Texas  76207
Wdunn@intiso.com <mailto:Wdunn@intiso.com>