Re: decommissioning measurements

I was involved this spring with the recycling of rad contaminated scrap metal
(process piping, structural steel, etc.) from a DOE site.  The contaminants
were uranium, thorium, and radium.  An automatic monitoring system was ruled
out since the metal resulted from demolition activities which left it pretty
beat up and no longer straight and true.  Surveys with hand equipment and
swipes confirmed contamination levels prior to release.

NRC Reg Guide 1.86 (or the more or less equivalent (depending on who you talk
to) DOE Order 5400.5) specifically addresses "inaccessible" areas.  An
automatic system might help to screen broad flats or long straights, but
you'll still have to deal with inaccessible areas and swipe for removable
contamination.

I'd be interested in how you set release limits and how ALARA is incorporated
in those limits.  At this site, since no attempt was made to distinguish one
radionuclide from another, ALARA was satisfied by selecting the most
restrictive NRC Reg Guide 1.86 limit as the release limit.

Thanks.

Glenn
GACMail98@aol.com

In a message dated 98-07-09 12:14:44 EDT, 0912capr@s1.cise.it (Davide CAPRA)