RE: Flushing seeds

It was written:

I have just heard that some hospitals in the U.K instruct their brachythrapy
patients to flush down the WC any loose seed found at home.

Does anyone know if the regulations in the UK or in other countries allow it ?

We, in Israel, instruct our patients to contact the physics dept of the
hospital in such cases and never allow to flush it down the WC.

This was discussed some time back on the MEDPHYS list.  You can probably
find the thread in their archives.

At the two US hospitals were I have set up programs, we give the patient a
small lead vial, a strainer, and instructions to strain their urine for the
2 weeks following implantation.  If they find seeds, they are to use a
tweezer or spoon to transfer the seed to the vial, secure it, and bring it
with them on their first followup visit.

The US regulations are open to some interpretation in this area, and as well
there is disagreement among physicists as to which practice (flushing or
retrieving) will result in the lower dose to the general population.  While
the material is in my care, the regulations are clear- Strict
accountability.  Once the patient is discharged, the regulations are not so
clear.
Tyler M. Lembcke, M.S.
ABMP Certified, Radiation Oncology Physics
Oncology Therapies of Chattanooga
2333 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37404
(423) 493-1690
(423) 493-6828 (fax)
physics@cdc.net
http://www.cdc.net/~physics/index.htm

      THE LAST OF HUMAN FREEDOMS IS
THE CHOICE OF ATTITUDE IN ANY GIVEN SITUATION
    ---------Victor Frankl----------

               BE  FREE