moderation, the meeting, and photos

May I remind people that discussion of RADSAFE moderation, whether in
the form of praise or criticism, should be sent directly to me via
private e-mail (in my .sig below) NOT to the list.

While I am wasting bandwidth here, I'd like to thank the local
arrangements committee for the HPS annual meeting for the hard work
that they put into making the meeting possible.  There were sessions on
many topics of interest to radiation protection professionals.

I attended Dr. Cohen's continuing education lecture on LNT -
unfortunately, it was at 7:15am on the last day, so people were
probably too tired to fight. :-)  It is good to see that the new RSO
section is trying to present subjects of interest to operational RSOs;
I caught the last part of a talk on reducing the number of assigned
dosimeters and attended the talks by Glenn Sturchio and Julie Hanlon
which covered a couple of aspects of computerizing tasks in radiation
safety offices.

True to form, Dr. Raabe was quite outspoken about a number of issues
during the plenary session, touching on topics ranging from the
Wingspread Conference to EPA Federal Guidance Report 13.  I would like
to praise Dr. Raabe for spending his year as HPS president by
presenting a very public profile in his call for reasonable radiation
related legislation and for his stand on tring to allay the public's
fear of radiation.  Best of luck to Keith Dinger in his year as the new
HPS president!

Kudos also to the academic and administrative deans of this year's HPS
Summer School, Chuck Roessler and Kermit Paulson.  This year's topic
covered radiation safety program management.  If there was one thing I
realized from the summer school, it was that no matter how big the
radiation safety program, or in what sector it is located, we all
pretty much do the same thing; it's just a matter of scale.  I believe
that we all have something to learn from each other in this regard.

And finally, I loved meeting all the RADSAFErs who just came on up and
introduced themselves.  Some of the photos I took didn't come out
because I'm such a lousy photographer :-(, but I hope to have the
summer school and annual meeting photos scanned and up by Monday at the
appropriate links at the following URL - watch for them!

http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/m-woo/photos.html

--
Melissa Woo, Health Physicist                    |m-woo@uiuc.edu
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign       |ofc 1.217.244.7233