TMI - Bargain or future liability

GPU recently sold the TMI unit to PECO for a mere $100M. Some
have stated that this was a shrewd business decision, since it
would cost considerably more than that to purchase an equivalent
amount of electrical output. Was it an excellent business decision,
or, one that will cost PECO considerably more in the future? The
answer to that will have to wait. In the interim, one can consider
this: If the unit is worth considerably more, and could have brought
in the initial estimated $600M, then why would GPU sell it for only
$100M? It's not like GPU was cash poor, and had to take an
inferior offer. Could it just be that GPU knew that unloading TMI at
this point in time would be an action that just had to be done, to
prevent further cash outlays? Again, time will tell.

I only know that last week I expended a lot of time and money to
FedEx an auto Title transfer back and forth between Calif. and FL,
just to unload a 1989 Mercury Cougar LS, for a total of $150. Why,
because I knew that it was time to unload it, NOW, to prevent
future costs and liability. I feel a lot better right now, knowing that it
is NOT still sitting in my FL driveway, while I write this post.
Perhaps GPU feels the same way. PECO should be asking
themselves, why was the purchase so cheap!
------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205

ICN Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer