Re: Living in Kiev: exposure, risks and guidelines

Dear collegue,
At 06:14 23.07.98 -0500, you wrote:
...>Some employees of Embassy's and International Companies, living in
>Kiev, ...
Been there several times after the accident. Radiological situation in Kiev
itself corresponds approximately to worldwide background.
>....visit our Whole Body Counter facility from time to time for a
>radioactivity check. ....
Body burden can't be high. What are your findings?
>..They ask questions about their exposure to
>internal and external radiation, the associated risks,
in Kiew neglegible. Contaminated regions : short stays won't effect your
dose balance considerably.
Also single intakes of contaminated meals won't harm
>how
>to reduce the exposure,
not necessary, however this answer won't satisfy 'em. So tell 'em to stay
off from continous intake of forest mushrooms, deer and wild pig. If they
buy foodstuff on local markets and don't know wether the supplier gets it
from a contaminated region just change the supplier frequently.
> is it safe to get pregnant,
it generally depends on the circumstances, but certainly not on the
radiation risk
> what to do
>when the sarcophagus collapses or another reactor melts down?
Simply follow the instructions of the Ukrainian authorities and of the
Dutch government.

>Is there any text or publication available where these issues are
>discussed, not too scientific and focused on people who intend to
>stay in Kiev for a longer time? Any suggestion is welcome.

see J.J.Rozenthals mail.