Re: EMF

>1.  Studies have been done which argue specifically against a role >for
magnetite.  An example is Behavioural Evidence that Magnetic >field
Effects in the Land Snail, Cepaea nemoralis, Might Not Depend

>on Magnetite or Induced Electric currents; Frank S. Prato et al;
>Bioelectromagnetics 17:123-130 (1996).

Just a comment: Lands snails sensing magnetic fields are described in an
overview by Barnothy (Biological Effects of Magnetic Fields, published
in 1964).

>2.  Studies have been done in which the results qualitatively and/or

>quantitatively support models which do not involve magnetite.  E.g.:

>Mechanism of Action of Weak Electromagnetic Field on Ionic Currents in

>Aqueous Solutions of Amino Acids; V.V. Novikov and A.V. Karnaukhov;

>Bioelectromagnetics 18:25-27 (1997),  Resonance Effect of Millimeter
>Waves in the Power Range from 1E-19 to 3E-3 W/cm2 on E. Coli Cells at

>Different Concentrations; I.Y. Belyaev et al; Bioelectromagnetics

>17:312-321 (1996),

I heard of these and wonder where the antenna is - so there is

not a misinterpretation between magnetic field effects and

electric current conduction (small cross sections with relatively

high current could occur like in ion channels - the total cross

section may not be representative).

Wait a minute. W/cm2 That is power/area. For a 50 Hz field the wave
length is 6000 kms. So in order to obtain meaningful energy (cross

product ExB) the frequency must be very high. I would like to

know more about that.

>and Magnetic Fields at Resonance Conditions for the Hydrogen Ion Affect

>Neurite Outgrowth in PC-12 Cells:  A Test of the Ion Parametric
>Resonance Model; Maria A. Trillo et al; Bioelectromagnetics 17:10-20
(1996).

I think some serious objections have been raised regarding either the
scoring technique or the statistics used in this assay (I can

check it - there was something extreme I think (a judgement

involved in the scoring??).

>3.  Biogenic magnetite is prevalent and may be ubiquitous, and has been

>itself suggested as one mechanism for coupling nonthermal levels of
EMFs to

>living systems, e.g.:  Microwave Absorption by Magnetite:  A Possible

>Mechanism for Coupling Nonthermal Levels of Radiation to Biological

>Systems; Joseph L. Kirschvink; Bioelectromagnetics 17:187-194 (1996).

Yes - Kirschvink et al. have written excellent reviews on the topic.

>4.  In vivo studies of multicellular species such as rats and >chickens
show positive effects of EMFs.  See many of the citations in my previous
post.

>Given these considerations, I don't see how magnetite is a show
>stopper at all.

What does "stopper" mean in mechanistic terms?

I am only asking for an experiment that deals with cancer

induction/promotion mechanisms. Many experiments were performed

with lymphocytes that have been proven to actively take up

magnetite - from media (RPMI, Gibco for instance) that have

been proven to contain ferromagnetic particles. A shown effect

in a particular system does not prove that it has to do with

cancer induction/promotion. To my knowledge, no such suggested

mechanism has been possible to reproduce by an independent group.

The only mechanism I could imagine would be over the

retina/corpus pineale ->melatonin->estrogen->breast cancer

but if that is a pathway - it will be extremely difficult to

prove since light works over the pineal gland (I think artificial

light may be a serious candidate for part of the breast cancer

in western countries - but the topic is extremely complex with

other involved factors - mainly relating to fats and estrogen).
Experiments with animals like rats won't work because they are night

animals.

Sorry about these first, somewhat vague comments (taken out of my
memory), I am at home with the wrong kinds of info. around me and

it is about time to hit the sack. Have to come back to this one.

bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com

Stockholm, Sweden

(representing myself)

PS. Some embryonic experiments (published in a "respectable journal")
with - to my taste unclear experimental setup and questionable
statistics - were performed by a person I have met a lot (I had to).
This person also does palmistry, reads astrology and eats various
strange pills for no clear reason. I know - this is unscientific "guilt
by association" - but I just cannot get it out of my mind. Can't give
you more details on this one. I encounter so many strange people - one
man a couple of years ago wanted 30000 USD to put crystals out in a
field ("research") near power lines (they crossed some Curry lines or
whatever they were called - only he knew where they were) because they
were supposed to make the cows there infertile.