Re[2]: philosophical curiosity in a long summer afternoon

Well I wasn't going to get in one this one, but here goes:  The most trenchant
comment on "present generation v. future generation" in Art Buchwald's:  "Future
generations are going to have to go out and find their own non-renewable
resources. Afer all, we found ours."

Seriously: we try not to waste resources and we try to preserve some things
(like national parks) but where is the ethical justification for depriving a
"present generation," whatever that is, for some "future generation?"
"Generational equity" is in my opInion a phony-baloney excuse for opposing
radioactive waste disposal in geologic repositories -- who ever heard of it
before 1982?  Furthermore, it can only work in one direction; one can't go back
in time and be "fair" to past generations.  If it "fair" that in my youth
children got polio and today there is a vaccine and they don't?  Fairness has
nothing to do with it.

Clearly only mo own opinion

Ruth Weiner
rfweine@sandia.gov