Vanderbilt Apology

A press release included a copy of a formal, written apology from the
Vanderbilt Vice Chancellor.  Informed concent is the key issue, as it was
when the Public Health Service failed to tell the Alabama blacks when they
did not treat them for syhpillis.  If you do human experimentation, you
must use an IRB and overt informed consent of all possible consequences. I
though it was a well worded and sincere apology on behalf of the Vandy
administrative decision more than 30 years ago.
On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 08:59:43 -0500 (CDT) DamschenGA <damschenga@mkf.ornl.gov>
wrote:
> I heard a news report... Vanderbilt University had
> settled a multi-million dollar claim with some women who had been involved
> in iron tracer studies during the 40's without their knowledge/consent..report
> said that the judge made the Vanderbilt attorney turn face the women and
> read a prepared statement to the effect that it was the proper time and the
> "right thing to do" to apologize to the women for the suffering they had
> been put through as a result of the experimentation...Was this really
what was said or just journalistic license?