RE: 3X background decision level

Will,

I've never seen it written in a formal report or textbook, but I have
seen it written in as a license condition in an agreement state
(although I've always seen it as twice the background, not three times
the background).  The logic is that the background follows a statistical
distribution which is centered about the mean value.  If the
distribution is roughly symmetrical, the distribution from 0 to the mean
should be almost a mirror image of the distribution from the mean to
twice the background.  It's not exact science, but if you set the
decision level at twice the background, this is almost the same location
as the classic critical level (Lc) that you would calculate using the
standard formulas, which is the threshold for declaring that activity is
present.

I would hesitate to use three times the background because in that case,
you're approaching the MDA and using a decision level at that point
would cause a lot of false negatives (although you would almost never
get a false positive!!) by having a decision level set too high.

Of course, the assumption in this is that the value you use for
background is fairly close to the true mean and not too far on the upper
side or lower side of the distribution.

Philip

Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP
Carolina Power & Light Company