Re: Bananas (K-40)

Assuming that the person of interest is standing on top of an "infinite"
depth of bananas (6000 tons would appear to be so about 1 meter from the
surface), 100 Bq/kg of K-40, and that a banana's density is 1.6 g/cc (I am
not sure of a banana's density, do they float?), assuming no beta dose, and
using ICRP 26 methodology (weighting factors) and FGR 12, I get around
0.0003 mrem/hr to the person. Using ICRP 60, I get about the same answer.

My wife informed me that I have gone bananas.

Tom Johnson

PS: I need to know the isotope to calculate the dose from the surface
contamination on the cask to a person 1 meter away.