Re: Risk in perspective- Ra-226/228 Mineral Water

In a message dated 98-08-05 12:30:56 EDT, Harold Reynolds writes:

<<
 It compares Pu-239 and Am-241 with Th-232, U-238, U-235, Pa-231, and
 Ra-226 in that they all share the following characteristics:

 -Chemically toxic to some degree
 -Radioactive
 -Alpha emitters
 -Bone seekers
 -Long biological half-lives
 -Long radiological half-lives
 -Known to be carcinogenic at high doses

 The next slide points out that one or more of these isotopes can be
 encountered in every day life in the following.

 -Rocks, soil, water
 -Coal fired power plant emissions
 -Welding rods
 -Older luminous dials
 -Some lantern mantles
 -Smoke detectors
 -Fiesta ware
 -Nuclear medicine

 Any comments or suggestions may be sent directly to me unless you feel
 that there is more general interest on this list.  >>

Regarding Ra-226 and Ra-228 don't forget to emphasize the fact that these
isotopes are present in all popular mineral waters, some to quite elevated
levels.  Some years ago [1979, just after the TMI accident] I sponsored a
study of the Ra-226 and 228 content [measured by a beta, gamma coincinence
procedure to yield excellent data] of about 20 varieties of mineral water from
around the world.

I have the data in some dead files which I could dig out. It was my intention
to use the data on radium content to help members of the public understand the
magnitude of routine radiation discharges and exposure from nuclear facilities
vs. something they could relate to like mineral waters which were just then
beginning to grow in popularity with the public. I was unable to use the data
on radium content of mineral waters at the time, because the utility which
paid for the measurements was concerned they might get sued by the mineral
water manuafacturers if the data was ever published!! I tried to argue that
getting sued [for telling the truth] would be worth millions in free publicity
for the point in question, but this was not the way the nuclear industry PR
"professionals" saw the issue.

This study data gathered documented that the Ra-226 dose to a regular drinker
of mineral waters exceeded the dose from drinking the annual average liquid
effluents from a BWR. Millions of our citizens spend billions of dollars a
year to drink mineral waters with Ra-226, perceiving it to be a healthy
alternative to tap water [with far lower radium content]. These facts make
some interesting perspectives likely to impact  preconceived ideas on the
matter.

Of technical interest, the Ra-228 levels measured documented that there were
some mineral waters where the Thorium decay series predominated and that gross
alpha measurements alone per EPA protocols were not sufficient to screen water
samples for potentially elevated radium content.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Radium Experiment Assessment Project
19 Stuart St.
Pawtucket, RI 02860