RE: Abbreviations

Lorna,

I'm not sure who's got the final answer on this one.  I've always
understood that rem stood for  "roentgen equivalent man" (and I have
several textbooks that make that assertion).  The choice of  "roentgen"
didn't bother me because dose equivalent includes the quality factor,
which used to be based on RBE, which used x-rays as the reference
radiation (how's that for contorted?).  But, lo and behold, FGR-11
includes in its definition section a statement that rem stands for
"radiation equivalent man," and your understanding is that rem stands
for "rad equivalent man."   Where's our historian?

Philip

Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP
Carolina Power & Light Company
Harris Energy and Environmental Center