Re: Re[2]: Side of a volcano

At 16:07 05.08.1998 -0500, you wrote:
>     Since when is 3 million curies of ANY radioisotope "harmless"??? Just
>     because radon and K-40 occur in the environment, that doesn't make
>     them "of the harmless kind."
>
>     Steven D. Rima, CHP
>     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
>     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
>     steven.rima@doegjpo.com

Steven,

Sorry, I insist on the expression "harmless" for radon and K-40. Radon is
diluted in the atmosphere very fast and the additional activity
concentration (which counts!) will be extremely low when reaching a living
individual. K-40 will be associated with inactive potassium and as it was
discussed earlier on RADSAFE potassium and therefore also K-40 cannot be
accumulated in the body of healthy subjects. Radium is not harmless, if
ingested, but I hardly believe that debris from a volcano would be ingested.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria