RE: Abbreviations

To all Radsafers interested in the topic:

Since Paul Frame hasn't jumped in yet, I'll get my 2 cents worth in first.
In the beginning, there was the roentgen, and only the roentgen, which was
originally adopted in 1928.  The roentgen was a unit that in its early years
described a number of quantities:  exposure, dose, and even something called
exposure dose.  In the 1940's it was realized that the roentgen was
inadequate to characterize dose quantities and hence the rep (roentgen
equivalent physical) and reb (roentgen equivalent biological) were proposed
by the late Herb Parker.  These were the forunner of the rad (which is,
incorrectly according to Laurie Taylor, usually thought of as a acronym for
radiation absorbed dose -- according to Laurie this was simply a made up
unit -- others have referred to it a roentgen absorbed dose in earlier days)
and rem (which was characterized variously over the years as roentgen
equivalent man [or mammal].  Parker wrote a great article on these radiation
quantities and units that was published in Radiology in 1950 and reprinted
in the book of his collected papers.  In the fullness of time, usage has
changed for many the derivation of the rem as an acronym to 'radiation
equivalent man'.  This and 'radiation absorbed dose' are certainly useful
mneumonics, and I hope the above clarifies their origins.

Ron Kathren