RE: overexposure - mother breast feeds child after I-131

Based on the clearance and uptake data available for I-131, the effective
dose (if this means anything at these levels) could be as high as 10.3 Sv
or 1003 rem to the child.Depends very much on the age of the child, volume
and frequency of the feeds, time after administration of the dose at which
feeding resumed etc etc.

For anyone interested in doses to infants from breast feeding, a summary
document is available in html format (breast_Milk.htm) on the
ftp.largnet.uwo.ca anonymous ftp server. Login as anonymous and cd to
/pub/nucmed/Programs. Alternatively, point your web browser at
ftp://ftp.largnet.uwo.ca/pub/nucmed/Programs/breast_Milk.htm

Cheers

John Cormack

>At 02:40 PM 8/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Just for grins .....
>>
>>I measured the child's uptake on 8/3 and calculated a 2.7uCi.  In order to
>>provide a conservative estimate of the radiation dose I assumed that the
>>material was delivered on 7/28, the day the mother was administered.  Back
>>decaying the activity to 7/28, the activity is on the order of 5uCi.  Using
>>the MIRDose 3 program and an residence time of 276 hours, provides a dose of
>>184 rads.

John Cormack
Chief Medical Scientist
Division of Medical Imaging
Flinders Medical Centre
Bedford Park
South Australia 5042

Ph:08-8204-4642 National, 618-8204-4642 International
Fax:08-8204-5450 National, 618-8204-5450 International